From the time a baby is born to the time he is growing and developing, the parents should take account of their overall development that is not only related to health or physical development but is also associated with the mental development. Anything that looks unusual or strange should immediately be brought to the notice of the specialist.
The child psychologist specialist can help in treating the child if he or she is passing through a strange psychological problem. All types of psychological problems are not untreatable; with the right medication, therapies, treatment and diet; one can overcome all these problems and can lead a perfect life.
Like adults children may also suffer from certain mental disorders that are listed below such as:
- Anxiety Disorders: Anxiety is a part of everyone’s life even of a child when he or she is growing; however; in case due to anxiety he or she is unable to perform well in the school or even the normal activities; then this indicates that there is something serious and must be brought to the notice of the psychologist immediately.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): This is regarded as a critical development disorder that can be noticed in child before he or she turns three. The child suffering from this disorder usually is unable to communicate or interact with others. Once a child is diagnosed with Autism, instead of getting panicked the parents should ideally approach the child psychologist specialist so that the treatment can be started as soon as possible. Early treatment can help in prevention other serious complications.
- Schizophrenia: This is another mental disorder in which the teenager may lose contact with the reality and so a proper treatment is required so that the teenager can lead a normal life.
- Eating Disorders: This is a common problem in which the child takes more interest in eating rather than concentrating on some other important task. Parents should not neglect if such symptom persist in the child.
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): This includes hyperactivity and impulsive behavior and difficulty paying attention. A child may have all these problems present while others may have only one of the three in them.
- Mood Disorders: Mood swings are common in children especially when they are growing up; however; excessive mood swings may indicate a serious issue which requires an immediate intervention of the doctor.
The child psychologist specialist uses several innovative therapies, treatments, medications and diets to help the child get rid of the mental disease. This may include:
- Art Therapy: Here children are encouraged to draw to communicate their feelings with others.
- Play Therapy: Usually the children in the age group of 3 to 12 years are treated with this therapy. This therapy includes toys and marbles in order to create a playful environment.
- Operant Conditioning/Applied Behavior Analysis: This is usually applied for children with severe mental challenges and is a form of a cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Animal Assisted Therapy: Children are encouraged to take care of animals to reduce their stress level and to calm their depression and anxiety.
Apart from all these therapies, the child psychologist specialist instructs the parents to deal with the kids when they are angry. Like the children, the parents also need to take part in the classes to know what exactly they should teach their children and in what way.
Apart from these serious mental conditions, if a child shows simple symptoms such as unwilling to open up or unfriendly; then also one can approach the psychologist specialist as they know how to use the right tactics so that the child can behave normally.